It’s been a while.

Gamestorm was great, I didn’t get to play test Dig Site as many times as I wanted but I did get feedback from several people I was hoping to get the game in front of. After Gamestorm, I took Dig Site to our local Table Top Day event and Just A Game Con were I got to test it even more. I’m mostly happy with the current state. A few things still need to be ironed out, I’m moving back to putting scoring tokens into the game instead of leaving all the scoring on the cards. The reason being that towards the end of the game the players felt like they had no way of “finding” new Treasures since they had all been filtered out of the deck. Since I’ll be moving in the next couple of months It might be another long break between updates, but I will try update this blog more frequently.

Other projects have been in the works as well. I’ve rotated Elementary, God Game, and Partners in Crime back onto my metaphorical desk. Most of the work has been on God Game and Elementary, which are still a ways off from being ready for any large scale testing.


Gamestorm 16

It’s been a while but I’m back with a small update. The New version of Dig Site is finished and I’ll be taking it to Gamestorm 16 for some extensive play testing.

I’m very happy with the new version of Dig Site. Over the last few weeks I’ve been making some adjustments. I’ve added some wild icons and finished working out the few kinks that the new build created. The only thing I’m not completely sure about is the scoring. Right now, the last few play tests have been right about where they should be but I want to make sure.

I’m also looking forward to helping Bonsai Games with some of their demos while I’m at Gamestorm. The con was amazing last year and this year looks like it’ll be even better. Hopefully I’ll be able to get at least 10 games of Dig Site in, so that I can make sure that the scoring mechanic is where it needs to be.

I’ll have another update after the convention. Thanks for reading and if you’d like to help with playtesting let me know so I can send you a copy of the Print and Play files.

Dig Site 2.0

I’m finishing up the Dig Site art and will be printing everything out today. I’m very happy with the new game on paper, but am waiting to post the PnP files until I get at least one actual play test done.┬áThe new version is much simpler as I mentioned in the previous post. The game still uses a deck of hex tiles and a deck of poker cards, however the player screens, scoring chits, find markers, and action tokens have been removed. The player screens and scoring chits are gone because the scoring has been incorporated into the deck of poker cards. The find markers where just a clunky mechanic that didn’t add enough to the game to warrant its’ existence. Lastly the action tokens have been removed because the turn has been simplified and shouldn’t require a tracking aid.

The new game plays as follows:

At the start of a round the players each play one tile face down onto the map from a central deck. The players look at the top three tiles, bury one at the bottom of the deck, play one face down, and return one to the top of the deck.

Each player moves and plays cards, or plays cards and moves. players no longer receive points for flipping a room tile face up, instead they draw cards equal to the number of unique icons on the tile (1-3) when they reveal a room. Each playing card has a set of icons (1-3) printed on it. In order to play a card the player must be on a room tile with matching symbols. Once the player plays a card they choose one of the symbols on their card that is consumed and each player in turn order may play a card that matches the remaining symbols and consume a symbol. The purpose of this mechanic is two fold, players are involved when it’s not their turn, and the cards with more icons, which are stronger, have a risk versus reward mechanic.

Example: Player 1 moves and reveals a room with 3 icons on it @,#, and $. After drawing his 3 cards he chooses to play a card that has @#$ printed on it. He then decides that the @ icon is used. Player 2 chooses to play a card with a # symbol on it. Player 3 has no cards with just the $ symbol so they cannot play a card. All the cards that have been player are resolved starting with Player 1’s card.

Room cards no longer have an effect when they are revealed or while the player is in the room. which was to reduce the amount of information the player needed to look up, or try to process when taking their turn.

At the end of the round the first player token passes to the left and a marker is placed on the base camp tile. At the end of the 7th round the game is over and the players total their scores.

Scoring has also changed. At the end of the game the players score 1 point for each scoring icon that they have either in their tent (previously called bank) or in their rucksacks , a full set of 3 icons gives the player a bonus point. The set bonus may change based on play testing I’m considering making it 2 bonus points, but need more data.

If your interested in the PnP files send me an email. Thanks for reading.